Wednesday, April 17, 2013

From the Studio to the Streets.

I had an enlightening lesson today while teaching a practice client, and not just any client my sister. I was trying to move her through an exercise that I had previously taught my client before her and had had,  success. My sister is one of the smartest people I know yet the words I used on my previous client did not resinate in her body, therefore the exercise was causing significant frustration for her and myself.  As a trainee i am finding my own words as a teacher but also regurgitating what I may hear from my own teachers, words are tricky and can carry different meanings for different people. I also know how frustrating working with your body on such an intense level can be.

My mistake today however, was that while my client stepped away for some air and to gather some fresh perspective, I neglected to leave my position on the exercise. Looking back I needed to figure out new words or even take her away from the frustrating exercise and allow her to feel what I was looking for in a new, more constructive way, to put it simply approach from a different perspective.

She is a brand new Pilates student , I am a trainee teacher  together we are beginners in our own right here to help each other reach maximum potential in our study. Bringing it out of the studio and on to the streets how many times do we keep approaching the same old problem from the same old angle? how many times do we fail to find a change in pattern? . Walk away change your words, everybody is fed information differently. You can say something to one person and then the same thing to someone else getting two very different sets of feedback. So try something else, a different image, different words, different actions, and bi- golly I bet you ten sets of teasers you see a change.

I thank all  my clients for their patience and willingness to work with such a young Pilates mind, I thank them all for the lesson they teach me from the studio to the streets, all lesson are meant to be carried on.




                      I had a meditation guide in India tell me once that in the guided practice you are safe, its only when you leave the meditation room and head out into the world that the real meditation practice occurs.  Studio to the streets, everytime is the perfect time to practice.

2 comments:

  1. Love that picture! What a great memory. I'm so happy to be on this journey with you dear sister. So grateful for the way each lesson strengthens our bond. SO PROUD of you. I am your pupil and your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete